Opened July 2017
When design-build developer SolTerra stepped in as developer on this site, they overlaid a vision of natural living in an urban environment onto the solid building plans that the firm had already created for a previous developer. Merging SolTerra’s new sustainability-intensive design with the firm’s foundational work meant gaining community and civic approval for revisions—a process that was greatly expedited by the firm’s experience and credibility.
The new design blends water-inspired features, such as undulating metal siding and street-level viewing into a large fish tank, with sustainable materials such as renewable bamboo siding, solar panels, and decks and awnings planted with greenery. The bones of the building, retained from the firm’s original project, include a mix of studios, one-, and two-bedroom apartments; three micro-retail shops with access from both the sidewalk and the residential lobby; and a double-height, corner retail space that is suitable for a neighborhood restaurant.
The melding of the two companies’ ingenuity and expertise weaves sustainability, naturalism, and beautiful functionality into this dynamic Seattle neighborhood.
- 60 apartment units in six stories
- Double-height retail space, with provision for mezzanines
- Micro-retail spaces integrated with residential lobby
- Extensive roof deck for outdoor seating and plantings, green-roof awnings
- Designed to achieve LEED Platinum certification
- Grand Award at Multifamily Executive Awards 2019: Green Design
- Grand Award at PCBC Gold Nugget Awards 2018: Best Innovative Energy Design
- Award of Merit at PCVC Gold Nugget Awards 2018: Best Multifamily Design
- AIA Honor Awards certificate of recognition for meeting the 2030 Challenge 2017
- Finalist for NAIOP Night of the Stars Award 2018, Multi-Family Residential Development of the Year: Fewer than 100 Units
CLIENT – Vibrant Cities
PROJECT ARCHITECT – Tiscareno